The Australian Recording Industry Association Limited (“ARIA”) and The Song Room Limited ("The Song Room") respect the privacy of the individuals we deal with. In our handling of personally identifiable information about individuals, we comply with the requirements of the Australian Privacy Principles ("APPs") in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the "Privacy Act").
1. What kinds of personal information do ARIA and The Song Room collect and hold?
We only collect personal information that we need for one or more of our business activities, including the preparation and staging of the annual ARIA Awards event, and the administration and announcement of ARIA Music Teacher Award.
ARIA and The Song Room collect personal information primarily for the administration, judging and announcement of the ARIA Music Teacher Award. As a result, the personal information relates to an individual’s business and/or professional capacities, including, but not limited to:
• details of the music teacher entered for the ARIA Music Teacher Award (including name, phone number and email, the name of their workplace, their photograph and biography); and
• The name and contact details of a person who nominates, or a person who acts as a referee for, a nominated music teacher.
ARIA and The Song Room usually do not need to collect any sensitive information (such as information about racial or ethnic origin, political activities or affiliations, memberships of unions or other associations, religion, sexual preferences or practices or medical history). If we do collect or hold such information, we will only do so strictly in accordance with the APPs in the Privacy Act and the information is reasonably necessary for one or more of our functions or activities. If we hold any sensitive personal information about you, that information will only be used and disclosed by ARIA for the purpose that it was provided by you.
2. How does ARIA and The Song Room collect personal information?
The most common way in which ARIA and The Song Room collect personal information is when an individual proposes a music teacher is entered for the ARIA Music Teacher Award. ARIA and The Song Room also collect personal information from the materials submitted by music teachers in support of their nomination.
3. Why does ARIA and The Song Room collect, hold or use personal information?
Generally, we only use personal information for the primary purpose for which we have collected it, or for closely related business purposes. For example, we collect personal information for the purpose of:
In most cases, the primary purpose for which we need personal information will be apparent from the context in which we collect it. If this is not the case, we will take steps to specify our purpose(s) at, or as soon as possible after, the time of collection.
In other respects, we will only use personal information with your consent, or if we are required or permitted by law to do so (e.g. under the APPs in the Privacy Act).
4. Who does ARIA and The Song Room usually disclose personal information to?
ARIA and The Song Room generally only disclose personal information to other persons or organisations for the primary purpose for which we have collected it, or with your consent (which may be explicit, or may be implied from your conduct or from the circumstances in which the information is collected). In particular, the personal information will be:
• disclosed to the judges of the ARIA Music Teacher Award; and
• included within content published online or broadcast on TV in respect of the ARIA Music Teacher Award.
We may also disclose personal information if we are required or permitted by law to do so (e.g. under the APPs in the Privacy Act).
Wherever personal information is disclosed outside of ARIA or The Song Room, we take reasonable steps to ensure that the recipient:
• handles that information in accordance with the APPs in the Privacy Act;
• only uses the information for the specific purpose(s) for which it is provided to them;
• does not disclose the information to any person or organisation except in accordance with directions from ARIA or The Song Room; and
• stores the information securely, and either destroys it or returns it to ARIA and The Song Room when it is no longer needed.
Occasionally, ARIA and The Song Room have to rely on third party contractors to provide services or perform functions on our behalf, and this may involve a disclosure of personal information by ARIA and The Song Room to that third party. While these vary from time to time, they may include:
• contractors engaged by ARIA to assist with preparations for the staging, production and operation of the ARIA Awards;
• organisations that provide communication and social media services on behalf of ARIA or The Song Room;
• advisers who have been engaged by ARIA or The Song Room to provide ARIA or The Song Room with legal, administrative, financial or other services; and
• information technology service providers.
5. Storage, security and destruction of personal information
ARIA and The Song Room take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we hold is protected from risks such as loss or unauthorised access, destruction, use, modification or disclosure. Your personal information is stored on a password protected database and hard copy files which are secured from unauthorised access. We only allow authorised personnel to access personal information, and it is a condition of employment with ARIA and The Song Room that our employees maintain the confidentiality of all information to which they have access.
We only retain personal information for as long as it is needed by us, or for as long as we are legally required to retain the information. When we are no longer required to retain personal information, we ensure that it is disposed of or destroyed in a secure fashion in accordance with our obligations under the APPs in the Privacy Act.
6. Online privacy issues
6.1 Google Analytics
6.2 Social Media
This Policy also applies to the personal information that individuals provide to us via our Facebook, Instagram and Twitter pages, or through other social media and online channels. We will generally use and disclose that information only for the purposes of participating in and managing an online conversation (including by responding to individuals’ comments), or otherwise as permitted under this Policy. We will not use or disclose information collected through these channels for marketing purposes unless we make that clear at the time of collecting the information (for example, in the context of a competition or other specific online activity). If an individual decides to communicate or otherwise publish personal information about themselves via our website, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter pages or through other social media and online channels, then the individual acknowledges that ARIA and The Song Room cannot control the use of such personal information by other users of our website or other online channels.
6.3 Links to Third Party Websites
7. How do I access and correct my personal information?
Under the Privacy Act, you generally have a right to seek access to the personal information that ARIA and The Song Room hold about you, although there are some circumstances in which we may be required or permitted by law to withhold access to some or all of that information. You also have the right to ask us to correct or delete personal information about you that you believe is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date.
If you wish to exercise these rights, we ask that you make a request in writing to our Privacy Officer (see section 9 below). You will need to provide some form of identification (e.g. a copy of your driver’s licence or passport) so we can verify that you are the individual to whom the personal information relates. You should also include details of how we can contact you in case we need to discuss your request.
8. How can I make a complaint if I believe that ARIA and The Song Room have breached the APPs?
If you would like to make a complaint in relation to this Policy or the manner in which we handle your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer (contact details are set out in section 9). We will endeavour to respond to complaints within 30 days of their receipt.
If you are dissatisfied with our response, you may refer the matter to the Australian Information (Privacy) Commissioner (see www.oaic.gov.au).
9. How do I contact ARIA and The Song Room?
If you have any questions or comments about this Policy, or if you wish to access or correct your personal information or make a complaint about our handling of that information, please contact our Privacy Officer by one of the following methods:
The Privacy Officer ARIA
PO Box Q20
QVB POST OFFICE NSW 1230
This Policy was last updated in April 2020